Today’s category is JUST PLAIN GOOFY. These are names that don’t seem to have any relevance to the brew in the bottle but are awesome just the same. OK…I also snuck in a few holdovers from yesterday’s “I Get References!” column, but what do you want from me? My plan for 10 beers in each category wasn’t perfect…my plans seldom are.*
*The intro picture is the label for Big Sky Brewing’s Moose Drool. It was #51 on my list…I felt bad that it didn’t make the cut-off, so I thought I’d throw Big Sky a bone. I’m sure they care.
20. Baron Von Awesome (Piece): See? Awesome.
19. Blithering Idiot (Weyerbacher): A classic name for a classic beer.
18. Substance Abuse: (Terrapin) Thanks a lot for reminding me of my problems, Terrapin. Assholes.
17: Sappy Slappy Bastard (Founders): A maple version of Founders incredible Scotch Ale. Just a fun name to say.
16. Chocolate Rain (The Bruery): Some stay dry and others feel the pain.
15. Smell The Glove (Old Dominion): Never had it, but I assume this beer goes to 11.
14. Lumpy Gravy (Lagunitas): One of the least appetizing and best names for a beer ever. I love it…plus it’s Frank Zappa inspired.
13. The Dude’s Oat Soda (Ommegang): Who the fuck are the Knutsens?
12. Bananas N’ Blow (Short’s): Seriously…I have no idea. Sounds like a fun night though.
11. Fred (Hair of the Dog): Hair of the Dog often gives their beers “real” names. Fred is the funniest to me. So there.
Tomorrow we wrap things up with the Top 10 Beer Names. I know the anticipation is killing you, but try to get some sleep tonight.